As many get on the roadways this holiday season, travel safety is of utmost importance.
I spoke with Trooper Nathan T. Branosky of Troop M in Bethlehem, PA and he encourages motorists to follow some important travel safety tips:
- Perform a maintenance check on your vehicle: check air pressure of tires, check the condition of the wind shield wipers, and check all fluids in your vehicle prior to leaving for you destination.
- Prepare an emergency kit in your vehicle: blankets, snacks, water, flashlights, phone charger and gloves, in case there is traffic congestion or bad weather occurs.
- Be sure to be well rested and focused prior to driving your vehicle.
- Avoid Heavy travel times, Wednesday prior to Thanksgiving and the Sunday after Thanksgiving.
- If you stop for a break, be sure to drive off the highway to an exit and lock your doors if you are at a restaurant, gas station, break area, or staying somewhere over night.
- If you are driving on the highway and you observe a vehicle with its emergency lights activated, slow down and attempt to move over to the next lane.
- DO NOT DRINK AND DRIVE AND STAY OFF THE CELL PHONE WHILE DRIVING.
Above all, have a safe and enjoyable Thanksgiving. Troopers will be out throughout the Thanksgiving weekend keeping the highway and public safe.
Enjoy this video filled with holiday music and travel safety tips presented by WGOLV.