Prepare a special treat for year-round residents this winter
The weather is getting colder, snow is on its way and it’s time to start thinking about what we can do for our feathered friends. I came across a recipe for making your own suet. This vegetarian recipe will help you attract insect loving birds like woodpeckers and nuthatches. This is also a fun project for the kids. After making this recipe, find a place you can hang it outdoors and observe the birds enjoying their treat..
Recipe courtesy of“The Misfit Baker” blog.
• 1 1/2 cups shortening (look for palm oil free options)
• 3/4 cups nut butter (any kind)
• 3 1/2 cups wild bird seed
• 1 cup quick oats
• 1/2 cup corn meal
• Ice cube tray
1. Mix the dry ingredients of bird seed, oats, and corn meal together and set aside.
2. Combine the shortening and nut butter in a separate bowl and melt. Stir until completely combined.
3. Pour the melted mixture into the dry ingredients and stir until combined.
4. Spoon mixture into the ice cube tray.
5. Freeze for one to two hours and place in your suet feeder!
Note: Not recommended for outdoor temperatures above 50 degrees.